At PhaseWorx Computer Services, we have several years of experience when it comes to Software for various applications in everyday life. We’ve taken the time and legwork in order to compile a list of both paid and free software which you can use, knowing that it is both safe and easy to use to get your work done.
This page will periodically be updated with more recommendations.
Apache OpenOffice is an open-source office productivity software suite. It is one of the successor projects of OpenOffice.org and the designated successor of IBM Lotus Symphony.
Office 365 is a subscription service that ensures you always have the most up-to-date modern productivity tools from Microsoft. There are Office 365 plans for home and personal use, as well as for small and midsized businesses, large enterprises, schools, and non-profits.
All Office 365 plans for home and personal include the robust Office desktop apps that you’re familiar with, like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. You also get extra online storage and cloud-connected features that let you collaborate on files in real time. With a subscription, you’ll always have the latest features, fixes, and security updates along with ongoing tech support at no extra cost. You can choose to pay for your subscription on a monthly or yearly basis, and the Office 365 Home plan lets you share your subscription with your family for up to 6 people, and use your apps on multiple PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones.
Most of the Office 365 plans for business, schools, and non-profits include the fully installed desktop apps, but Microsoft also offers basic plans with the online versions of Office, file storage, and email. You decide what works best for you: Small business, Enterprise, School, or Non-profit.
Office 2019 is sold as a one-time purchase, which means you pay a single, up-front cost to get Office apps for one computer. One-time purchases are available for both PCs and Macs. However, there are no upgrade options which means if you plan to upgrade to the next major release, you’ll have to buy it at full price.
Office Online is a free version of Office that you can use in a web browser. All you need is to sign up for a Microsoft Account with a new or existing email address. Try the Office Online apps.
Anti-Virus / Internet Security
Fast, Light and Easy to Use. Improved Security for Your PC. Download now! Real-Time Protection and Intelligent Threat-Detection Keeps Your PC Secured. Stop Ransomware. Webcam Shield Protection. Wi-Fi Inspector
Protection from the following threats is essential:
As online threats constantly evolve, ESET researchers continually come up with the most effective tools to fight the increasing volume, diversity, and sophistication of malware. ESET and Dial a Nerd provide security features that will monitor the general operations of the system, prevent malicious attacks and ensure that vulnerable applications are protected.
ESET and Internet Security Software offers the following features:
- Social media scanner
- Exploit blocker
- Advanced memory scanners
- Device control
- Gamer mode
Live Grid® technology provides ESET Virus Lab specialists with an accurate snapshot of the nature and scope of global threats. Experts carefully analyze these threats, attack vectors and patterns, as well as fine-tune all heuristic and signature updates for a comprehensive automated malware collection system.
ESET for business offers internet and computer security solutions that are specifically designed to meet with the individual needs of your business. ESET’s powerful suite of business security software is tailored to a variety of different requirements. Need assistance determining which ESET bundled business solution is right for your organization? Turn to the Dial a Nerd team to assess your environment, recommend the right-sized solution and implement a complete changeover from your former security software.
Some of the ESET or business advantages include the following:
- A variety of subscriptions and licensing options to choose from allows you to select the one that best suits the needs of your business.
- Minimal footprint on system resources, faster scans and minimal impact on network traffic.
- Cross-platform protection offered for multiple business devices such as computers, smartphone’s, tablets and servers.
- Easy management – everything is controlled via a central console, benefitting from automatic updates and optimized security systems requiring minimal intervention from your internal or outsourced IT support staff.
- Advanced protection against viruses, spyware, adware, worms, phishing, Trojans, rootkits and malware.
- Social media scanning.
- Advanced memory scanners.
- Exploit blocker.
- Minimize risk and maximize system uptime with award-winning software that runs quickly and seamlessly in the background.
- Get affordable protection for your computers, smartphones, laptops and tablets with cross-platform, bundled solutions.
- Automate tasks and updates and reduce demands on IT staff
- Easily install and manage everything from gateways to endpoints, legacy hardware to new tablets, from one central console.
Every day cyber criminals create thousands of new malware variants, making it difficult for an antivirus solution to strike the right balance between detecting these emerging threats and flagging legitimate programs ESET offers: Proactive Protection – Get real-time protection from known threats and proactive protection against unknown threats with Industry-leading technology. Peak Performance – Enjoy fast scanning and a low system footprint, so you will not compromise performance for protection.
Simple Usability – Customize settings or create “set-and-forget” preferences to ensure ESET solutions adapt to your needs The main features of ESET Anti-virus for home use are:
- Effective protection from malware, spyware, adware and viruses.
- Fast performance that does not compromise the current speed of your system.
- Antivirus technology customised to suit your individual preferences.
- Email and telephonic support.
- Full system scans carried out quicker than with most other anti-virus programs.
- Parental controls.
- Social media scanner.
- Settings for anti-phishing, anti-malware and anti-spam.
7-Zip is a free and open-source file archiver, a utility used to place groups of files within compressed containers known as “archives”. It is developed by Igor Pavlov and was first released in 1999. 7-Zip uses its own 7z archive format, but can read and write several other archive formats
WinZip is a file archiver and compressor for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android developed by WinZip Computing. It can create archives in Zip file format, and unpack some other archive file formats.